Thursday, February 24, 2011

Week 5 Choice (School)

College is significantly different from the public high school lifestyle in many different ways. As a college student I noticed that there are many adjustments that I had to make compared to high school. Decision making process has to be well thought out because I am responsible for everything in school. High school didn’t involve as many decisions as college does and that’s what makes them different. 
High school and college has similar support systems that are used differently because of there importance. Responsibility plays a huge factor in college where in high school most of my choices are heavily assisted with by counselors or teachers. As a college student I also get help from an advisor but the courses I take are all according to my major. I am responsible for choosing the best possible courses to give me the most information needed to help with the career I plan to pursue. I have plenty of classes that I can choose from but I have to pick what I think is most efficient. High school is the beginning stage that helps me get an idea on what I would or wouldn’t want to do. Where college teaches independence and I have to do research to be put in situations that are going to be beneficial for me in the long run.
Teachers in high school are lenient but college professors enforce independent learning for students. Although, both college and high school have support from the teachers and tutors it’s not as easy to get help. In high school teachers would stay after school with me or on their lunch break. In college, I have to work around the teachers schedule to get extra help. As a high school student I had my mom nagging me to get to school but that word of advice isn’t in college as much it was at home. Sometimes college teaches students to put forth effort and work hard to get assignments done and get a better understanding of the subject is. I have learned from my past experiences in high school that college isn’t as I thought it would be.

1 comment: